The Account: A Journal of Poetry Prose and Thought is seeking assistant genre editors in Poetry, Fiction, and Creative Nonfiction to join our team in its tenth year of production. These volunteer positions will read submissions and propose works for publication in our annual literary journal of new writing and art.
We encourage applications from women and nonbinary writers, writers of color, writers with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ writers.
Duties and Expectations:
- Be an active reader of and participant in the world of contemporary literature
- Have knowledge of / experience in the realm of literary publishing.
- Familiarity with Submittable and prior experience on an editorial staff is a plus.
- Communicate in a timely way with the Editor-in-Chief and Genre Editor, report directly to the Genre Editor, and meet deadlines.
- Read and vote on submissions, looking for work that is exciting, fresh, and innovative. -Our reading period will be from approx. May 1st through August 15th.
- Participate in brief editorial meetings via Zoom.
About The Account:
The Account is an online journal of new writing, art, and criticism founded in 2013. Work from our issues has been featured in the Pushcart anthology, Best of the Net, and Best New Poets. We welcome work from new writers and writers who have won major awards. We love creative approaches to genre. We love the unexpected. We also love reading what our writers say about the work they make, which is why we are called The Account. Each writer’s work is paired with an “account,” a mini-statement about what went into making it.
The priority deadline for the Assistant Editor position(s) application is February 15th but the position will stay open until filled. Please submit a resume or CV along with an optional cover letter describing your experience with literary publishing, why you’d like the position, and what you would bring to the journal.
This is an unpaid position and requires approximately 10 hours of work a month.
Applications and questions about the application process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Assistant (Genre) Editor Application.”
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and we will follow up with all applicants after the deadline. We appreciate your patience in advance.